For Designer, Metallic and Gloss colours, download the ColorCote® special colours brochure.
Solar-Rib ® is an attractive, linear roofing profile that is expressive in its design. Suitable for Residential, Light Commercial and Commercial applications, Solar-Rib® can also be paired with Dimond Roofing’s ® Photovoltaic Laminate (PVL) solar power technology to provide the added benefit of electric power generation – harnessing the power of the sun’s energy. PVL is a flexible technology and can be added to Solar-Rib® at the time of installation, or at a later date.
All dimensions given are nominal
Sheet width: ‡5mm
Sheet width for aluminium +0, -15mm. If sheet cover widths are critical, advise Dimond Roofing at time of order.
Sheet length: +10, - 0mm. For horizontal wall cladding where notified at time of order of intended use, tighter tolerances can be achieved +3, -0.
(1) Recommended maximum purlin spacing’s at minimum radius.
(2) Based on 1.1kN point load support, but not intended for roof access.
n/a not available
Roll-forming facilities at: Auckland and Invercargill
Sheet lengths: Solar-Rib® is custom run to order.
Where long sheets are used, consideration must be given to:
- Special transportation licences for sheet lengths over 25m
- Site access for special lifting equipment
- Fixing techniques to accommodate thermal expansion
Photovoltaic laminates (PVL’s) can be installed on to this profile at an additional cost when the cladding is completed and other trade have finished or it can be installed at a later date.
Laminates are 348mm wide and available in 5.910mm and 2.585mm lengths. Lead time of 16 weeks.
Laminates cannot be installed on raking sections of roofs
Solar-Rib® Limit state Load / Span Capacity
(span in mm, distributed serviceability loads in kPa)
- In any category, spans above the maximum shown should not be used. Category 2 maximum spans are based on static point load testing as a guide, and further limited by practical experience of roof performance under dynamic foot traffic loads. Category 3 maximum spans are limited as a guide to achieving satisfactory appearance for wall cladding.
- Loads given are based on 2 screw fasteners/sheet/purlin (x) = one stitching screw between mid-span purlins, (y) = two stitching screws per mid-span purlin.
- Loads given are limited to a maximum of 2.5kPa. If design requirements exceed this limit, Contact Dimond Roofing for specific advice.
- N/R = not recommended
- End span capacities given in this table are based on the end span being 2/3 of the internal span.
- Design Criteria for Limit State Capacities
- Serviceability Limit State
No Deflection or permanent distortion that would cause unacceptable appearance, side lap leakage or water ponding, due to foot traffic point loads, inward or outward wind loads or snow loads.
- Ultimate Limit State
No pull through of fixings or fasteners withdrawal resulting in sheet detachment due to wind up-lift (outward) loads.
- Serviceability Limit State
- System Design
The span capacity of Solar-Rib® is determined from the Solar-Rib® Limit State Load/Capacity Chart using the section of the chart appropriate to grade and type of material, and to the category of serviceability selected from the three categories below. Serviceability loads have been derived by test to the NZMRM testing procedures. To obtain an ultimate limit state load we recommend factoring the serviceability load up by 1.4 in-line with NZMRM guidelines. The capacities given do not apply for cyclone wind conditions.
- Serviceability Requirements
While these categories are given for design guidance to meet the serviceability limit state criteria, foot traffic point load damage may still occur if there is careless placement of these point loads.
Expected regular foot traffic to access the roof for maintenance work and able to walk anywhere on the roof. No congregation of foot traffic expected.
Expect occasional foot traffic educated to walk only on the purlin lines, in the profile pan. Walkways installed where regular traffic is expected, and “Restricted Access” signs placed at access point.
Non-access roof or wall
Walls or roofs where no foot traffic access is possible or permitted. If necessary, “No Roof Access” signs used.
- Wind Pressure Guide
As a guide for no-specific design the following S.L.S. design loads in accordance with the MRM Roofing Code of Practice can be used for buildings less than 10m high, otherwise AS/NZS 1170.2 should be used
Low wind zone = 0.68kPa, Medium wind zone = 0.93kPa, High wind zone = 1.32kPa, Very high wind zone = 1.72kPa and Extra high wind zone = 2.09kPa.
Solar-Rib® Fastener Design
Fasteners that are used to secure Solar-Rib® down as a roof cladding must penetrate into the purlin a minimum of 30mm for timber and 6mm for steel purlins. For wall cladding the fasteners must be long enough to pass through the substrate, cavity batten and into the solid framing by 30mm for timber and 6mm for steel.
1. A 30mm bonded (BRA) washer may be used in low and medium wind zones and when the sheet length is less than 7m.
Periphery and valley lines must still have a load spreading washers used.
2. When using bonded washers remove the neo from the fastener prior to installing.
3. Were photo-voltaic laminates are to be used an extra row of purlins is required 600mm down from the ridge line and up
from the bottom purlin.
4. When using Load Spreading Washers a 12mm (clearance) hole is to be drilled for the 36mm diameter EPDM seal.
For screw size range and fastener/washer assembly refer to Section 126.96.36.199of Technical Manual.
The Limited State Load/Span Capacity Chart is on 2 screw fasteners/sheet/purlin with the use of load spreading washer
Long spans may require specification and use of side lap stitching screws – Section 2.3.2 C Installation Information: Layout and Fastenings of Technical Manual.
Restricted access roof, 0.55mm G550 steel Solar-Rib® has a maximum end span of 1300mm and a maximum internal span of 1900mm. The following distributed load capacities apply.
Fastener Layout Options
Relevant Product CAD Details
Below you will find all of the relevant product CAD technical details in .dwg, .pdf & .rvt format.
If you have any questions regarding the details below please contact one of our technical team on 0800 ROOFSPEC.
Product Technical Statement
To help you get through the building consent process as quickly as possible, we have developed the Product Technical Statement (PTS) downloads to make it quick and easy for both Architects and Home Owners to access the documentation required.
The PTS downloads hold all of the information that the council requires for a building consent where Dimond product is specified.
Product Data Sheet
For specific design by profile please refer to the Technical Manual Section 2.1.4 or download the data sheet below
Need a brochure for one of our roofing profiles? Here you can download one for each of our profiles with the basic information and details you need during the decision process.
Below you can download our homeowner’s brochure which includes some of our profiles and basic product information for homeowners when re-roofing or building new.
Dimondek® 300 is a concealed clip profile, perfect for projects where fine detail and design proportions are ...
Dimondek® 400 adds architectural interest to your roof, with its broad angular ribs and wide pans it brings m...