For Designer, Metallic and Gloss colours, download the ColorCote® special colours brochure.
Brownbuilt 900 Performance
Brownbuilt 900 has been designed with strong ribs that resist buckling under concentrated loads reducing the chance of damage on roofs where foot traffic is common.
Equally useful as a wall cladding, Brownbuilt 900’s aesthetic appeal can be even further enhanced by inverting the profile to create Brownbuilt 900 Reverse Run.
BB900 Reverse Run Profile (for wall cladding only). Lapped Sheets Shown Dotted.
All dimensions given are nominal
Sheet width: ±5mm
Sheet width for aluminium +0, -15. If sheet cover widths are critical, advise Dimond at time of order.
Sheet length: +10mm, –0mm. For wall cladding where notified at time of order of intended use, tighter tolerances can be achieved +3mm, –0mm.
(1) Recommended maximum purlin spacing at minimum radius
(2) Based on 1.1kN point load support, but not intended for roof access.
n/r – not recommended
n/a – not available
Rollforming facility at: Auckland
Manufacturing location for Duraclad: Auckland
Sheet lengths: BB900 is custom run to order.
Where long sheets are used consideration must be given to:
- Special transportation licences for sheet lengths over 25m
- Site access for special lifting equipment
- Fixing techniques to accommodate thermal expansion.
BB900 Limit State Load/Span Capacity
(span in mm, distributed serviceability loads in kPa)
- In any category, spans above the maximum shown should not be used. Category 1 and 2 maximum spans are based on static point load testing as a guide, and further limited by practical experience of roof performance under dynamic foot traffic loads. Category 3 maximum spans are limited as a guide to achieving satisfactory appearance for wall cladding.
- Loads given are based on 6 screw fasteners/sheet/purlin.
- Loads given are limited to a maximum of 4.0 kPa. If design requirements exceed this limit, contact Dimond for specific advice.
Serviceability Limit State loads are not applicable to the Duraclad material, as it does not experience permanent deformation.
System must include Safety Mesh if intended for use as a Restricted-Access roof. Refer Section 126.96.36.199 of Technical Manual
- N/R = not recommended.
- End span capacities given in this table are based on the end span being 2/3 of the internal span.
- Design Criteria for Limit State Capacities
- Serviceability Limit State
No deflection or permanent distortion that would cause unacceptable appearance, side lap leakage or water ponding, due to foot traffic point loads, inward or outward wind loads or snow loads.
- Ultimate Limit State
No pull through of fixings or fastener withdrawal resulting in sheet detachment due to wind up-lift (outward) loads
- Serviceability Limit State
- System Design
The span capacity of Brownbuilt 900 is determined from the Brownbuilt 900 Limit State Load/Span Capacity Chart using the section of the chart appropriate to the grade and type of material, and to the category of serviceability selected from the three categories below. Serviceability loads have been derived by test to the NZMRM testing procedures. To obtain an ultimate limit state load we recommend factoring the serviceability load up by 1.4 in-line with NZMRM guidelines. The capacities given do not apply for cyclonic wind conditions.
While these categories are given for design guidance to meet the serviceability limit state criteria, foot traffic point load damage may still occur if there is careless placement of these point loads.
1. Unrestricted-access roof
Expect regular foot traffic to access the roof for maintenance work and able to walk anywhere on the roof. No congregation of foot traffic expected.
2. Restricted-access roof
Expect occasional foot traffic educated to walk only on the purlin lines, in the profile pans, or carefully across two profile ribs.
Walkways installed where regular traffic is expected, and “Restricted Access” signs placed at access points.
3. Non-access roof or wall Walls or roofs where no foot traffic access is possible or permitted. If necessary, “No Roof Access” signs used.
- Wind Pressure Guide
As a guide for non-specific design the following S.L.S. design loads in accordance with the MRM Roofing Code of Practice can be used for buildings less than 10m high, otherwise AS/NZS 1170.2 should be used.
Low wind zone = 0.68kPa, Medium wind zone = 0.93kPa, High wind zone = 1.32kPa, Very high wind zone = 1.72kPa and Extra high wind zone = 2.09kPa.
BB900 Fastener Design
Brownbuilt 900 should be screw fixed to either timber or steel purlins. The use of the appropriate length of 12g or 14g screw will ensure failure by screw pull out will not occur under loads within the scope of the Limit State Load / Span Capacity Chart.
*If sarking or insulation is used over the purlins or for wall cladding fixing onto a cavity batten, into the stud, the screw length will need to be increased.
For screw size range and fastener / washer assembly refer Section 188.8.131.52 of Technical Manual.
The Limit State Load / Span Capacity Chart is based on 6 screw fasteners/sheet/purlin without the use of load spreading washers (except for Duraclad material, which must be fitted with profiled metal washers and 36mm EPDM seals.
Profiled metal washers are recommended for use:
- On end spans, or large internal spans where the Ultimate Limit State distributed load is limiting. Contact Dimond for specific advice in these design cases.
- When required to enable the fixing system to accommodate the thermal movement of long sheets – see Section 184.108.40.206 Thermal Movement in Technical Manual.
- Wherever the designer wishes to ensure the risk of fastener over-tightening will not cause dishing of the crest of the profile rib.
Use in serviceability categories (1) or (2) can allow the reduction of fasteners to 3 screw fasteners/sheet/purlin. If this is done, the distributed load capacities given in the chart should be reduced using a multiplying factor of 0.5.
Long spans may require the specification and use of side lap stitching screws – see Section 2.3.2C Installation Information: Layout and Fastening in Technical Manual.
Restricted access roof, 0.55mm G550 steel Brownbuilt 900 has a maximum end span of 2400mm and a maximum internal span of 3400mm. The following distributed load capacities apply.
Fastener Layout Options
Relevant Product CAD Details
Below you will find all of the relevant product CAD technical details in .dwg, .pdf & .rvt format.
If you have any questions regarding the details below please contact one of our technical team on 0800 ROOFSPEC.
Product Technical Statement
To help you get through the building consent process as quickly as possible, we have developed the Product Technical Statement (PTS) downloads to make it quick and easy for both Architects and Home Owners to access the documentation required.
The PTS downloads hold all of the information that the council requires for a building consent where Dimond product is specified.
Product Data Sheet
For specific design by profile please refer to the Technical Manual Section 2.1.4 or download the data sheet below
Need a brochure for this product? Here you can download one with the basic information and details you need during the decision process.
Steelspan 900 is an economic roofing and cladding profile designed for long spans whilst maintaining an appeal...
Dimondek® 400 adds architectural interest to your roof, with its broad angular ribs and wide pans it brings m...